Friday, October 29, 2010

LIFE AND LOVE AND ADRIATICO

The day went pretty good after a series of "reasonable delays" and stuff re: thesis at National Library, after the crazy rain-then-shine transition, after being trapped inside the serials section that smells like "dead newspapers" (Dead? Yeah!) and kiamoy. Wait, do you know what kiamoy is? If yes, then Congratulatioooons! If not, then where have you been? LOL.  Aryt, to whom this kiamoy info may concern, (Goodness I never thought I'd be talking about kiamoy here!)


Kiamoy, in Google definition:
 Dried preserved plums coated in salt, sugar, and licorice powder. Intensely salty and sweet and sour all at once. NIBBLE ONLY. DO NOT POP IN MOUTH WHOLE. The seeds are still in the plum, and the flavor is VERY intense. Great prank food. 


They are the orange ones you can see along the racks of sweet beans, peanuts, green peas and stuff in a candy store. If you've been to Aji Ichiban, then, you can see lots of kiamoys there. 


Okay, let's move on, shall we? 


Thesis Mate (Tim) and I decided to go and drink caffeine at Starbucks Adriatico before going home because we have to talk about the most vital things that took place in her life lately and how I've been wanting to tell her to ditch out her thoughts about suicide and all its friends! Yeah, too much about Plath and Palanhiuk. We talked like we haven't talked for months! LOL. But seriously, if we could just talk everyday without thinking of deadlines and school stuff, we will definitely do so. 

There we had the time to update each other of what took place yesterday especially with Tim and all I prayed for while she was recounting the story and up until now is that she finally finds her true happiness with God taking control of her life. She explained things really well an d I got the point why she's been such a cynic lately in terms of dealing with things. 


So when it was my turn to talk, I told her about a book I've been wanting to purchase since I read about its review last week. It's called The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. Thank heavens for the speedy wifi  that I got to tell her about its  summary and share my favorite quotes from the book. :-) She said she likes to have her own copy too and that made me happier. Just another kindred spirit, yes?


We left SB just a little later than the sunset and walked along the streets to Quirino. My mind was still attached with the topic about books so I suddenly blabbed:


Me: I want to "write" again. And I meant that in the sense of how these novels that I've read inspire me. Literature. Do you think if I've gone out from my comfort zone, if only I can go out to different places, I could write better? 
(Sometimes, I like asking rhetorical questions just to prove a point or fish out opinions.) 

Tim: Why of course! Your wide exposure to your surroundings define your way of writing. And of course, you just have to seek for a wider perspective. Talk about going outside yourself. You can't always ask your readers to fit in your shoes. It's the other way around, mostly. You sell books that way.

Me: I wish I'm that "exposed writer" that you're talking about. I've always wanted to write a book or something but my lack of acquaintance to the outer world bounds me. I know that's a bad reason and I don't want to be complacent about that. 


I want to write because I love writing and maybe that would be an enough reason to explain everything. 

Once upon a time, I used to write about "them". I wrote about the chronicles of their life and death, of their politics and social status, of their probities and immoralities, of their happiness and pain. But I wrote them all for the dailies, for requirement's sake, for training. I barely wrote about them with my own judgments because my job was to narrate the story as is. But as my literary inspirations grow, so is my desire to write and have my own say about these people and their lives and put them in paperbacks.


Yes, I started talking about going to the library and how I hate to be there because of the smell. 


But over and above all, it was just another Friday full of thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment